Thursday, March 11, 2010


The learning curve on a DSLR is amazing. I've had my camera for almost a year and still struggle with using manual. Today it all started to make sense! I finally got a grasp on my shutter speed and aperture settings and how they work together. We went to the roller skating rink for playgroup and it has always been a challenge for me to get any shots there b/c it's very dark and the kids are ROLLING around at fast speeds! I feel like I learned something new today though and knew when I had the shot. In fact, there were 2 shots, but this one I liked best. The other was artistic looking, but this is my favorite.

5 comments:

  1. Well, you know I'm gonna love this! It is a great shot though, even if it was some random kid instead of mine. ;)The color and lighting are fantastic, as is the composition. I also love that it really shows all of the color and life and general busyness of the skating rink without being overwhelming- my eye still knows where to look. Great job!

    I feel the same way about the aperture and shutter speed 'clicking'. I wouldn't come even close to saying I've mastered it but at least I understand what it means now and I can adjust accordingly. It might take me a few minutes when I walk into a new place to figure it out but at least now I know I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your post on the DisBoards. And you're worried that your pictures aren't good???? HA!!!!! So far, I'm liking what I see..... especially this one. Keep up the great work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, that means a lot coming from you, I've seen your shots! I seem to recall a shot from the side of a Disney Boat that was something out of a magazine, that was yours, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed your post on the DisBoards over here. Now I am subscribed to I can see your posts every day.

    I can totally relate to the learning curve. I have had my DSLR for longer than I want to admit and I still shoot on auto. When I go to manual, I don't like the pictures. Sometimes I will get one good one but I think it is a total accident and not because of my skill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michele! I must say that forcing myself to put it on manual and learn has been a learning experience! It can be frustrating and I have deleted more pics than I have kept, but when I get a shot that I LOVE and took the same shot on auto and it didn't look nearly as good, I know I must be learning and getting better!

    ReplyDelete